Monday, August 26, 2024

Salt Water Fly Fishing



Salt Water Fly Fishing
by Joe Brooks

Written in the 50's by a pioneer salt water fly fisherman, Salt Water Fly Fishing is a classic. It covers the basics and has been a book in all fisherman's library since the beginning. 

There was a time that I made bamboo fly rods. I also liked to fish the flats and although I didn't make any rods for the salt, I did fly fish in the Sea of Cortez, the Pacific and in Hawaii quite a bit. I figured that it was best that I used a bamboo rod at some point so I sourced a rod straight out of the book, an Orvis Shooting Star. Joe writes about his "one rod" to rule them all and it is written with authority.

I bought the rod and a proper period reel for it and began to fish it. Boy those guys in the 50's must have been badasses. These rods are heavy. I could fish all day for a day or two but my wrist and forearm would get sore. Eventually I went back to my composite rods but I have fished bamboo in the salt.

You can find the rod that I bought and used at this page; Orvis Shooting Star.

This is a book to have if you are a collector. It isn't the first book on the subject you should buy but if you are a book person, this is a must have book. The above is the new cover and below is the original book cover.