Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Cortez Croaker





Cortez CroakerUmbrina wintersteeni

Rod: Thomas & Thomas HS906S (9’ 6wt)
Reel: Tibor Freestone
Line: Rio Bonefish/clear intermediate tip
Fly: Orvis Super Clouser
Location: Puerto Penasco - flats near inlet of Marua Estuary

Finally, finally I am able to identify this fish. I’ve been after them in the area of Puerto Penasco for a long time, since the late 90’s. At first I thought they were Yellowfin croaker, then Corbina, then back to a croaker, wasn’t sure. Hard to catch, harder to identify. Then I put it to the internet and back came the same responses, white croaker almost did it but Frank Price suggested “Cortez Croaker” and I have to agree by identification.

Utmost stealth, long casts, clear tipped lines catches this one. They are in the sand flats between rock and reef foraging for crabs and shrimp. I use the low incoming tide to my favor, a little wind is good but not so much as you can’t see into the water, just enough to hide you. This particular one was caught in late spring on a pretty far wade through a gauntlet of sting rays. I was lucky to have a camera and my friend Chef waded over and took the snaps.