Sunday, September 15, 2024

C&F Designs Fly Boxes

I use the small boxes with the O ring. I also have a couple of large boxes, same configuration. I’ve been using these boxes for 20 years in harsh environments of the trunk of my car in the hot summer desert beaches of the Sea of Cortez. They travel well and are somewhat crush proof. The foam does not deteriorate and comes in many configurations for all sizes of hooks and fly body shapes.

I choose colors based on the type of fishing I’m doing. Tan and off white for sand and bottom flys. Blue for streamers and surface flys. I have one box dedicated to Corbina and another for Bones, Pompano and Leather Jacks feeding in the shore pound. 

The large boxes I use for inshore in a boat bag.

My fishing bag can hold four of the small boxes, it will hold two more but I like my bag light and not stuffed.

Typically when I go to a known spot or I’m after a particular type of fish or fishing, I carry as few boxes as possible. I’m a minimalist and it makes me happy to know what I need and carry as light as possible.

Besides my fishing rod, line and reel, a small box that I’m able to shove in my front pocket of my shorts, a wax pocket of my trunks or the front wader pocket. Big fly boxes are cumbersome and a small fly box needs to fit in a pocket, these will fit in a big shirt pocket of some fishing shirts. 

They fit the bill and are what I use.