Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Pope

 


The Pope has been in my possession and used since the 90’s. It is super cool, has some protective value and for my favorite function, opening Mexican refreshments. It is quite special as my original Pope has been owned by myself, S.Brooks and my Mom. When she passed, I got it back. Originally, I pried the two seals off, epoxied one side in with J&B Weld, then took sand from one of my favorite fishing beaches, Playa Encanto (Enchanted Beach) and another small token and epoxied in the other seal. It adds no weight but if you shake it, you can hear the sand inside. I give them as gifts to very special people, same thing, favorite beach sand sealed inside. 

I love opening a Mexican beverage (Coke or a Negra Modelo) with the Pope and carrying it while in Mexico has a certain lucky and protective appeal to me. I’ve purchased them over the years, I forgot who gave me mine, maybe it was S.Brooks, I don’t remember. 

They are available online from eBay. Others have stories of their own

The Original Pope